Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Ok so time for an update. Let’s see…
On Thursday, we started out with individual meetings with our program directors to figure out our schedules. It’s a little complicated for us because unlike students in the US, the students here have a set schedule of classes given to them based on their year and program. They aren’t given much for options in terms of their classes. This makes things tough for us because we’re picking classes from all different levels and majors. I finally sorted out my classes today (I think!). I’m not fully registered for classes yet but as of now I’m taking the required Irish history course which includes 3 day trips to Mayo (in western Ireland) and Belfast (Northern Ireland). I’m also taking America & the Wider World, Russia & the Former Soviet States, Ireland & National Cinema, and the Making of Contemporary Europe. I have class Tuesdays 11-1 and 2-4, Wednesdays 9-10, 1-2 and 2-6, and Fridays 2-4. So I have Mondays and Thursdays off! Anyways, after the meetings I went into town to do some shopping and exploring. Then that night I went out with Pat and my roommates which was really fun. Friday was a lazy day, one where we were desperately searching for the rest of the information about our classes.
Saturday we were continuing the tour that had been rained out on Wednesday. Of course it was raining again when we began but it cleared up and turned out to be a beautiful day. We walked through the Georgian area of Dublin. We saw the National Gallery (which we had a brief chance to visit) and Merrion Sq which is this really nice park area. It has a memorial statue of Oscar Wilde and a memorial to Ireland’s National Defense Force. Then we saw a bunch of government buildings and other museums- I’ll put pictures up soon. Then we went to St Stephens Green. I wish we’d had more time to be there on Saturday since it was the perfect day to just sit there and read and enjoy how beautiful the area is. I’ll go into more detail when I have pictures. We even got to see Ireland’s Rugby Team getting on their bus on the way to the big game and some very enthusiastic Italy fans (Ireland won on Saturday ). Afterwards we just walked around, bought a few things and took in the busy atmosphere.
Monday was our first day of class but I’m lucky enough not to have class then. Then yesterday I had my first 2 classes, although I only went to one. The class I did go to was the one about Russia. It seems like its going to be a very interesting class. And I only have one assignment the whole semester… a 16 page research paper that’s 100% of my grade. No pressure or anything. My next class was America and the Wider World but I had to miss it to go to my GNIB card. This is the card that says I’m allowed to stay here (basically a visa). We first heard of these cards when we got off the plane and were told we’d need to get them and pay 150 euros for them. Needless to say we were pissed since they had told us NOTHING about needing to pay anything and it was also 5am. We later found out that the cost was included in our program fees so even though we had to pay it we get it back through our program directors in cash. Anyways, so we went yesterday for those. We were told that we were much better off skipping class that going on our own to get them. Don and Martin had set up an appointment for all of us and thank God they did. We were there for about 3 hours- I could’ve left after about 1 ½ but I had to wait for Pat to get his card. And we all thought 3 hours was terrible but the other people there had probably been there all day. Some people had been there for over 10 hours. Definitely worth missing a class I’m not even registered for yet! Today I had another class, Making of Contemporary Europe. It should be ok, it meets Wednesdays from 9-10 and then from 1-2 which seems kinda strange but we’ll see. Then after that I’ll go to the required Irish history course taught by Don.
My roommates and I started planning all these traditional Irish things to do. Like going to farms and all this other stuff. We’re even planning to camp on the beach?( should be interesting in Ireland). Their friends are really eager to show us Ireland outside of Dublin. And I may be going to Paris for Easter! I’ll have to check flights and everything but I already know I have a place to stay, a guide, and a 5 day weekend! I’m about to go back to class but I’ll add pictures soon! Also leave me addresses if you want a postcard! For anyone who wants it my address is:

Nicole Barry
WG03 D
College Park (House 12)
Campus Residence Limited
Dublin City University
Ballymun Rd.
Dublin 9
Ireland

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment